Wednesday, June 25, 2008

No Rest for the Weary







I first arrived in Baku around 2 a.m. local time, after about 20 hours of trave,l and I really wasn't even the least bit tired. Admidditely I was pretty nervous making my way through customs and this alone probably started enough adrenaline pumping through my veins to keep me up for days. However, my fears subsided considerably once I met my driver whom was very friendly and we made our way to the car. We were met outside by a steady down pour of rain and I held out hope that it would not continue to rain the rest of the week. The drive from the airport to the hotel was fairly long, although being pitch black outside and coupled with the rain it was hard to make out any distinguishable features on the landscape. From what I did see though I could tell that I would be in for treat. The architecture of the few buildings that I could make out was amazing and truly unique.

When we finally reached the hotel it was fast approaching 3 a.m. The hotel from just the appearance of the lobby was already by far the nicest I have ever stepped foot in. After check in I was met by Dr. Blackburn whose youthful exuberance at three in the morning I found amazing and was only overshadowed by my own. He enthusiastically informed me to be up and ready to roll at 7 a.m., a mere four hours away. The concierge showed me to my room and was kind enough to provide a full demonstration on the use of the bidet. Needless to say there was a big a tip waiting for him at the end of that demonstration.

No comments: